I know. You are used to humor. And maybe I'll throw some in here so you don't feel shell-shocked. Waylaid. I'm convinced there's a worm hole at the entrance of Pearce's school. I wake him up each morning and he stumbles into the kitchen with sleepy eyes and bed head and hugs. He still looks like a boy in the morning. He gets ready by himself - never has to be redirected anymore (ok, sometimes I have to knock on the bathroom door when the shower time goes past 10 minutes). He gets in the car and we talk, laugh, banter on the way to school. He gets out of the car, tells me he loves me and enters school...
...and becomes a clownish, distracting, unfocused menace to society. Just this year we've had two detentions, two referrals, multiple phone calls and emails from not just one, but three, teachers. What happens to my son upon entering the school? Remember my post about body snatchers? I'm convinced my theory is wrong as he's still my Pearce at home. Why can't I get through to him? Do you know how hard it is to punish him when he acts pretty awesome around me? Can you imagine how confused I am to learn that these problems are occurring? I'm exhausted from thinking about it, trying new methods of encouragement, consequence, reasoning. I live in dread of the school's phone number. And there are no positive messages coming from the school, so this year has just beaten me down. Can he really be that bad a kid and me not know it? Am I being duped by my child? Is an 11-year-old capable of keeping up a perfect farce at home? I don't know anymore.
Why does he have this split personality?
Two words.
Worm hole.
2 comments:
Pearce has the same personality with me that he does with you, even giving spontaneous hugs and kisses (this coming from an 11-year-old boy)and it's the same with your Dad and his relationship with Pearce. In fact, anyone I know who knows Pearce thinks he's an awesome kid. He has his little snafus which you have to expect from any kid entering his teens but nothing to compare to the stories coming out of that school about him. What I do know about him is this - when he's through with this year and has a summer to recuperate, he will be fine because he has too much going for him on the fine side.
I completely agree with Scary Mom. He's a good kid who is having a rough transition year. Next year will be better, don't give up hope!
Post a Comment