This has been an interesting year in lessons for me. I was laid off from my job in May, and Chad and I decided that we'd make the sacrifices necessary for me to stay home with the kids. The hardest lesson I learned was how NOT to spend money like we both still had jobs!
In an effort to be a good steward of my family's new financial situation, I started researching budgeting topics. The ones of most interest to me were related to my new job - so grocery shopping for a family of 6 without going broke! I found a website that had great information (www.budget101.com).
I learned that I could make my own...well, anything. I read the list with a growing excitement - this was going to be an adventure!
Make my own baby food - check!
Make my own bread - check!
Make my own pasta - check!
Make my own brownie mix - check!
Make my own........wait...what was that? Did they say I could make my own BROWNIE MIX??? You mean to tell me that the box of brownie mix I buy at the store is made from ingredients just ANYONE can walk into a store and buy? People made brownies before brownie mix?
Oh, but there was more. Did you know that people can make their own cake? CAKE without a CAKE MIX?? Onion soup mix, ranch dressing, refried beans, yogurt - you can make all of it without having to buy a package!
My mom and dad had a good laugh at me as I shared this revelation with them. I am a child of pre-packaged convenience. I am a remote control child. I am an indoor plumbing, color tv, video games, McNuggets, brownie-mix child.
I made my first batch of completely home-made brownies - in total wonderment. My children fell over themselves trying to get to them. They exclaimed for days that they were the best brownies EVER. And now, they ask me if everything I put in front of them is 'home-made-from-scratch.' They, too, are mystified at this new world where Convenience Mom has turned into Homemade Mom.
2 comments:
What's interesting is that you grew up on made-from-scratch food and never turned away from it. Because I've always been an adventurous cook, it was slightly on the gourmet side of the spectrum. I can't wait to get some of your real food.
I thought it was always boring to open a box of brownies, add water and bake. It was much more fun to gather a few ingredients, hum while I measured, mixed and baked and the final reward was the same excitement your kids are enjoying now.
I think one of the reasons you are so excited and going to enjoy it is because it is going to touch on your creativity.
It was a little harder back in the day when I had to milk the cow for the milk and grow my own wheat for the flour.
Hope you saved me some brownies! ;o)
Post a Comment