I have to make a horrible, embarrassing confession. I lost a memory card at Saturday’s wedding. I changed out the card so I’d have a clean card for the ceremony and reception and the one with all the pre-wedding pictures is gone. I discovered it when I got home Saturday night. I was so excited about how beautiful the wedding was, I wanted to download the images immediately and work on them. After scouring the camera bag, my pockets, and the truck; I left messages with the wedding chapel’s office and then I laid awake in bed most of the night with knots in my stomach.
The next day, I sat through church much like a zombie. I remember thinking it would be easier to talk to God about the situation if it were a moral or character flaw – but I couldn’t figure out what lesson could be learned from losing a memory card. Other than a technical lesson. You can bet I have a 32G dedicated card in my camera’s second slot that’s set to duplicate so I never lose another image even if I change out the card in the first slot. Sorry for the run-on.
After church, I took my 10-year-old, Cole, with me to the chapel and reception sites to look for the card. We started at the reception place as a long shot, but a possibility.
As we were walking along the street, Cole said, “Have you asked God for help?”
I replied, “You mean help in finding the card?”
He said, “Yes.”
I answered, “I feel kind of funny asking God to help me find a memory card.”
He replied, “You should. You always tell us that we can go to God about anything we need help with.”
I literally stopped walking and just looked at Cole. And he looked at me. Then he shrugged. So, we prayed. I told God that what I really wanted was to find the card, but if he couldn’t help me with that, to help me with the words I would need to talk to the client. Then, I asked God to give the client a gracious heart. And I thanked him for Cole.
We didn’t find the card and I came home to another long, sleepless night of worry. Before I went to bed, Cole asked me if I would pray with him. He prayed his normal prayer of thanksgiving to God and then added a prayer for me and my conversation with the client.
Today, I made that call and when I got off the phone, I cried like a baby. The mother of the bride was so gracious. She was so honestly amazing, I just cried out of gratitude and relief.
To think, on Sunday morning I didn’t know what kind of lesson I could learn from a lost memory card.
First, I have a son who not only listens to me, but reminds me of my own lessons. We can go to God with anything. Cole’s reminder to me was a magical, childlike expression of his innocence and trust. And his prayer for me was an expression of his love and concern for me. I’m humbled and honored to be his mother.
Second, I learned that there are people in this world who receive bad news and don’t even stutter before offering their grace. I’m inspired to follow suit.
So many more lessons still being processed, but those were the biggies.
Praise be to God.
No comments:
Post a Comment