Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Piece of cake

I started this blog with promises about how funny my kids are. My 8-year-old does not like to disappoint...

Small background - this has been a difficult school year for him. He's having a hard time focusing in class or completing (and sometimes even starting) his schoolwork. I know it isn't funny to his teacher, and there have been many not-so-fun days at the house because of it, but there are always some shiny moments with him that should be shared.

When I first confronted him about his conduct, he explained that he was 'being distracted in class'. OK - this is something Mom can deal with. I just needed to find out which of his fellow students was the culprit and have him moved away. When I asked who was distracting him, he responded, "My fingers are distracting me." Now, you tell me...how do I keep his fingers from distracting him?

Then, this morning, we had a heart-to-heart about his conduct and how I'd have to start enforcing some unpleasant consequences if it didn't get better. He promised to do better. As I was driving him to class, I asked, "So we are going to do better?" He replied, "Piece of cake." I said, "Great." He responded, "No, seriously, do I get a piece of cake?" I looked over at him incredulously and he was waiting with a huge grin on his face.

I love that kid.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Awwww. I love that kid, too. I also love your new header!! :o)

Scary Mom said...

Your 8-year-old is more like a piece of artwork. He's enigmatic, beautiful, full of wonder, hard to take your eyes off of, and you look from side to side trying to figure out just what is going on in the painting. Then someone walks by and says, "Oh, it's upside down, and then you see him clearly."